The first time Pierre Taittinger visited Champagne was as an injured officer during WWI. He promised himself that he would return and buy an estate for his family. In 1932, he did just that. The sale included some of the original vineyards which had been planted by Benedictine monks in the 1730s. And the rest is history.
The Taittinger family has managed the Champagne House for nearly a century. Its aim has always been the pursuit of excellence. “Having our family name on a bottle places demands and responsibilities on every minute. The name on the bottle conveys both the skills and knowledge of the past and a commitment to the future”. Pierre Emmanuel Taittinger has embodied this commitment for 40 years, and today he shares it with his son, Clovis and his daughter, Vitalie who both work beside him in the day to day running of the Champagne House. Together, they create a very close-knit and complementary family trio.
This Champagne House has the biggest intramuros vineyard of the city of Reims situated in Val-de-Murigny near the first Roman road connecting Reims to Epernay. It is planted with 37% Chardonnay, 48% Pinot Noir and 15% Pinot Meunier vines distributed equally across 37 different crus which are amongst the best in the Champagne appellation. The vineyard is a perfect reflection of the Taittinger style. It provides 45% of what the Champagne House needs, and is a great asset when it comes to controlling the quality of blends within the framework of responsible viticulture practices which have been awarded a high environmental quality accreditation.